Honoring Our Heroes – A Sunset Ceremony will take place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, May 28, at the Long Beach Navy Memorial in Shoreline Aquatic Park (200 Aquarium Way). Free parking is available in the lot adjacent to the Navy Memorial site.
The program will include:
- Patriotic music provided by the Navy Band Southwest Harborside Brass Quintet
- Flyovers with historic aircraft
- Drills by Lakewood High School’s Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
- An information fair and activities featuring the Historical Society of Long Beach, People of the Earth Krew and other local community-based organizations
- A brief program, starting at 6:45 p.m., with guest speakers, including acclaimed artist Terry Braunstein, who created Navysphere, the large public artwork that is the centerpiece of the Navy Memorial, and keynote speaker Sergeant Major Charles Cook Jr. (US Marine Corps, retired), President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Montford Point Marines
- At sunset, a flag ceremony and the playing of Taps to honor our fallen service members.